Just bought a msi gt72 6qe dominator pro g laptop, windows update is stuck with error 0x80240fff and can't update from build 10240. Tried most troubleshooting.

Hello,

as the title says I just bought a new laptop that is running windows 10 build 10240. I tried anything that I could google, meaning the windows update fixer, clean boot, a script made by someone that did the disable and re-enable of the processes (bits, wuauserv, etc.) I tried doing it manually, and I tried cleaning the SoftwareDistribution folder, and I'm currently out of ideas.

I started downloading the upgrade from the media creation tool but it is extremely slow and I can't say if it will work. I also read that my build might not update since I've got my system setup with italian region and language, so once it finishes downloading I will try to change that.

My internet as you can imagine works fine and I tried both wi-fi and ethernet to see if anything works. I thought of trying recovery or whatever but I believe the build is of 6/11/2015 so it might be before any update that works.

I tried using my microsoft account to link it, and I can't use the insider builds or anything like that since it doesn't let me to. I have no clues on how to fix this honestly and I'm starting to get pretty annoyed by this issue on a just bought new laptop.

Any help? Thanks

edit: I also read this article but it means nothing to me honestly, I just bought the thing and didn't even install anything on it... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2521187 what custom things are there to be if I just unpacked it? =|

@Neviskio only! =>

Assuming Windows 10 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Windows 10 preinstalled or was it a Windows 8.1 computer that came with a free upgrade to Windows 10?

2. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

3. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6a. Is KB3156421 or KB3156387 [<=PICK ONE!] listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6b. How about KB3159635, KB3158986, KB3125217, KB3147460, and/or KB3140741?

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v21.0.0.242 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER OR EDGE ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

8. Is Firefox version 46.0.1 (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 51 (or higher) or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component; Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Total System Care; Advanced System Optimizer; Comodo System Cleaner; Glary Utilities; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG Quick CleanAVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; FixMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Wise Care 365; Wise Cleaner; etc.)?

==============================================

[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem with same laptop. 

First thing i did is try to update Windows right up finishing initial setup but i couldn't, 0x80240fff

I've uninstall Norton Antivirus and update graphic drivers whithout results.

There's no registry cleaners pre-installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same Problem, exact same laptop.  

I first tried uninstalling all the bloat (MSI registration apps, candy crush something, norton, etc.) but it didn't help.  Ended up downloading Windows 10 Home ISO and clean installing the OS.  Activated without a problem, and updates perfectly.  Also runs quicker with fewer memory resources used at cold boot.

This is clearly an MSI problem and not a Microsoft error, so perhaps we can try troubleshooting on their forums.  MSI tech support is notoriously unhelpful with this type of thing.

If you can't troubleshoot it, I would just clean install the OS.  All the necessary drivers are on MSI's website.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think so, this isn't Microsoft problem, it's corrupted pre-installed S.O from MSI so the best solution is get the original Windows Home 64 bit ISO from Microsoft servers and do a clean install. 

I just format the laptop and install Windows from ISO on USB pen, the updater works great (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.318) and install all drivers from MSI website, all works perfect and smooth so i am very happy now and ready to full enjoy this machine!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2020 Views 1,230 Applies to: